Re: Italic Serif fonts?

On Monday 20 December 2004 07:22, Danilo ?egan wrote:
> Does anyone know if Vera Serif Italic fonts are planned at
> all?

An italic font would really be its own typeface, and one wasn't
included in what Bitstream donated to GNOME.  I had just been
wondering myself how much it would be to simply buy the rights
to Prima Serif Italic from Bitstream.  (Prima is, as far as I
know, a superset of Vera as of its original donation.)
Unfortunately, not only does that font not exist, but it looks
to me like Prima Serif itself is derived from (er, "inspired
by") Hermann Zapf's "Melior" font, which also had no italic
form.

So basically, we're looking for an italic serif font that sort of
matches Vera Serif, and someone is going to have to do more
design work on it than Bitstream appears to have done on any of
the original Vera typefaces.  My solution thus far has been to
stick with Garamond when I need to italicize some of my text...
but that's no solution for the Vera project.

Rob