Baltic Encodings

What would be necessary to get baltic encodings for the Vera family?

In particular, I'm interested in the Latvian (lv) characters such as

ĀČĒĢĪĶŅŌŖŠŪ
āčēģīķņōŗšū

If it's something a decent programmer / fair graphic artist can learn to do and do in a few weeks, I'd consider volunteering to add the characters myslef.  I really have no idea what is involved as I don't know much more about typography other than in general what hinting and kearing do.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be to hard, as all that needs to be done is to bolt on what ammounts to three ovestrike characters to a couple dozen existing glyphs.