Re: Mozilla pegs CPU and hangs on certain pages when Vera is used

> Sender: fonts-admin gnome org
> From: Tom Moertel <tom moertel com>
> Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:53:00 -0400
> To: fonts gnome org
> Subject: Mozilla pegs CPU and hangs on certain pages when Vera is used
> -----
> Hi,
>
> First, the Vera family of fonts is great.  It's now the default serif,
> sans, and monospace on my RHL 8.0 system.  Which brings me to the
> problem...
>
> I have set Vera as the default serif, sans-serif, and monospace fonts in
> Mozilla.  When visiting certain sites (e.g., the W3C home page
> www.w3.org) while Vera is in use, Mozilla pegs the CPU and hangs in some
> kind of infinite loop.  This doesn't happen when other fonts are in
> use.  I've been able to replicate the behavior in both xft and gtk2
> builds of Mozilla 1.3 and 1.4a.

I don't see this problem on my mozilla (1.3b, gtk2 build): I can visit
the W3C web page fine.  So something stinks in Denmark, but I'm not
very suspicious of Vera so far.

> I'm not familiar with Mozilla's font-handling code, so I don't know
> whether it or Vera (or both or neither) is the cause.  Maybe Mozilla is
> making some bad assumptions about metrics, or maybe Vera has same
> pathological data in its tables.  Nevertheless, I am reporting the issue
> here with the hope that you will find the information useful.

Well, you've not given enough information to have much of a clue, without
freetype/fontconfig/xft versions, etc.
                               - Jim

--
Jim Gettys