Re: Email unique identifier

On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 01:27 -0500, Erick Pérez Castellanos wrote:
I'm curios about one thing, these commit  [1] sat you're going to
assume email addresses as unique identifiers of people. That, will
lead to the behavior I've been observing of auto-link to Persona (s)
having the same email-addresses. Now, what I'm concern is why keep the
to Personas linked, why don't merge it, and keep just one Persona.

Because folks doesn’t do merging. This is because merging is a
destructive operation: if folks makes a mistake and ends up merging two
contacts which shouldn’t have been merged, it’s very difficult to
un-merge them.

Even if folks was infallible, this situation could still occur if (for
example) the user accidentally copied-and-pasted the wrong e-mail
address into a contact and didn’t notice before folks merged it with
another contact.

folks does linking instead because it _is_ reversible, but can still be
made to appear the same as merging to the user.

Hope this makes sense. This question has been asked a few times before,
so I should probably blog about it and explain the reasoning behind
using linking in folks in more detail.

Philip