Re: How to write my own libfolks-extension

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 21:19 +0100, JumpLink wrote:
hi, how can I write my own libfolks-extension like libfolks-eds or
libfolks-libsocialweb to add a new contact-source for gnome-contacts?
I want to make costumers available they are stored in my webshop. Is
it possible without modify gnome-contacts?

Hi,

libfolks doesn’t explicitly support out-of-tree backends (which is what
folks calls extensions). However, it should still be possible for you to
write one. You shouldn’t need to make any changes to gnome-contacts.

The main requirements for a backend are:
 • It’s a dynamically loadable library installed
in /usr/lib64/folks/[ABI version]/backends/.
 • The module exports two symbols: ‘module_init’ and ‘module_finalize’.
folks calls the former when it loads the module.

Take a look at folks’ key-file backend for an example of a (relatively)
simple folks backend:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/folks/tree/backends/key-file

The module_init/module_finalize stuff is in the backend factory file:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/folks/tree/backends/key-file/kf-backend-factory.vala

Hope that helps,
Philip