Re: f-spot not starting

From my limited understanding of the code, the error message is when
it's trying to load the thumbnail for the picture.
Anyone more knowledgeable than me on the ML feel free to correct me if
I'm saying something stupid:

1) F-Spot queries all the non-hidden pictures from the photos.db
2) For each, use the GTK API to load the thumbnail (means it takes
from the ~/.thumbnail folder, or it gets created and stored there by
GTK), large format for the main view, smaller for the filmstrip.

So I would tend to think that your error means "I cannot, for the life
of me, get you a thumbnail for this picture".

Now, the filename looks very... temporary to me. First off it's a
hidden file with a .tmpwrite.JPG extension. Maybe digikam created it
(I know nothing about digikam).

so two questions:
1) Did you create that file yourself
2) Do you still have it on disk?

If it is indeed a digikam temp file, I'm thinking maybe if you ran the
import while digikam was open and the temp file was there, F-Spot
would have added it to its DB. Digikam would then have removed it from
the disk, and bam.

I am not entirely sure why it would crash F-Spot entirely though. If a
pic is gone from my disk, F-Spot still loads, for me, and just fails
to display that particular image...

Anyways, if you do not care about that file, you could try removing it
manually from the F-Spot DB.

1) Close F-Spot and take a backup of the ~/.config/f-spot/photos.db
2) open the photos.db with sqlitebrowser (or if you're cool with the
sqlite command line, feel free to use that).
3) Locate the photo_id for your picture in the photos table.
4) Delete all versions from the photo_versions table
5) Delete the picture from the photo table.

Hopefully that would do the trick.