Re: database problems

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 15:27 -0400, Jack wrote:
> On 2012.05.23 13:53, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:04 -0400, Jack wrote:
> I'm not completely sure of the full order of problems, but I do suspect
> I fell victim to more than one distinct issue.  If the above simply
> indicated the absense of a tags table - them I'm curious where it went,
> although I don't really expect to find out.  I do know the issue that
> caused most of my problems yesterday was that libicu got upgraded, and
> so many things that depended on it, including both other libraries and
> applications, failed to run until recompiled.

Hmm. SQLite doesn't link to libicu;  but perhaps something from mono
does.

> > If you look at the F-Spot sqlite database does it have a tags table?
> By the time I looked, the database was empty except for a meta table.
> I thought that was the first error message I noticed, but I can imagine
> I simply glossed over the first failure (which trashed the database)
> and that was the second.

It is very odd to have a database with incomplete schema.

> > I don't believe there is a relevant database anywhere other than
> > $HOME/.config/f-spot/
> Well, that is clearly the only place f-spot looks for the database
> (photos.db).  However, under circumstances which I don't fully
> understand, it seems f-spot (or maybe sqlite) thinks the file is
> corrupt, so copies it to photos-yyyymmmdd-n.db before creating a new
> one.  Normally, if launched from an icon or start menu, that file gets
> created in the same directory, since it would normally be set as the
> working directory.  However, if f-spot is launched from the command
> line, it drops that file in the current working directory.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

> > (b) Developers [you are compiling - THIS MEAN YOU!] take full
> > responsibility for what they are doing.  Developers certainly know
> > enough to make backups;  otherwise they shouldn't be playing with
> > those toys.
> While I do basically admit that I should behave like a developer, do
> you claim that every Gentoo user is inherently a developer?

YES.  I'm on numerous application lists and Gentoo users with weird
problems constitute a significant block of the traffic.

> it is a valid viewpoint, but I think you would get some disagreement.
> Just because I'm compiling from source does not automatically imply I'm
> touching anything in the code.

Yes, it does.  "make" is not that simple,  there are all kinds of issues
involved.

>   However, I do agree that a Gentoo user
> should (and usually does) take responsibility for their actions.  Note
> that I didn't say "F-spot destroyed my database.  I want you to fix
> it!."

Appreciated! :)

>   At least I hope nothing I said was taken that way.

Nope.  You didn't.  But snarling Gentoo users are not uncommon.

> > I have a hard time believing F-Spot overwrote your database.  I'd
> > suspect your build got screwed up, F-Spot couldn't open the database,
> > and you did 'something' to make it work.  That 'something' deleted
> > your database.
> I agree it was not likely to be an explicit action by f-spot.  However,
> the last error message I got said something to the effect of "Can't
> open the database, probably corrupt.  Backing it up as
> photos-20120522-0.db and starting over."  That's clearly a paraphrase
> from memory and not a direct quote - I'll have to hunt through the
> source to find the message.  It may also be something inherent to
> sqlite3, but again, I won't know until I dig through source (in my
> copious free time...)

It almost certainly attempts to open the database, gets an exception,
copies the file, creates a new database.  At least that is ~ 'standard
practice' for desktop applications.

> By the way - since copying that backup file to
> ~/.config/f-spot/photos.db seemed to restore my data,

Excellent.