database problems

I've been using f-spot for quite a while, with about 3500 photos. I'm on Gentoo Linux, and a recent set of updates left f-spot not working. One of the libraries it uses got updated, but not f-spot itself, and the error on startup included "f-spot caught an exception - hyena.data.sqlite.sqliteexception: sqlite error 1: no such table: tags". I assumed that once I got all the other updates done, and I recompiled f-spot, it would work again. (The only reason I have that error message is that I extracted it from the google search in my browser history.) Well, after all the recompiling, my next attempt to run f-spot said something about a bad database. Unfortunately, EVERY f-spot .db file I could find (scattered in several directories, probably due to some attempts at command line start) were empty except for a meta table. The only f-spot backup .db files were from 2009.

I know it's my own fault for not having a recent backup, but I'm really surprised that f-spot would overwrite the database unless it started successfully and had something to change. Is there potential here for an enhancement request that a backup is made of the .db file before any attempt to open it? At this point I'm really just looking to understand when/why/how the .db got overwritten, as well as seeing if f-spot can avoid such problems in the future - even if the problem is actually in one of the libraries and not f-spot itself.

Thanks for any relevant information, suggestions, or advice (other than to do more backups).

Jack