Re: Re:Criteria for Importing

> I have always used the workflow you describe. I never let a photo
> manager "manage" my photo directories for me, preferring rather to
> establish my own structure. Then, each time I add new photos to my
> collection, I either import from the collection's root, or from the
> specific sub-directory I've updated.

Yes, exactly what I do.

> F-Spot has always (in the past) handled duplicate detection, not
> re-importing photos that already exist in the database. And, since
> there are obviously options to facilitate this kind of use-case, I
> fail to see how it could be an "unexpected" one.

Bad choice of words, sorry. I meant "less expected". My point was
that I wouldn't *like* if F-Spot *never* supported this, but I would
*understand*. However, since it *did* support until 0.8.0, either
the previous versions or the current versions have a bug.

> My understanding was always that F-Spot checked multiple aspects of
> the images (filename/path, EXIF creation date/time, file modification
> date/time, possibly the image data itself) to determine dupes on
> import. I had always assumed this included the md5sum, but I've never
> looked at F-Spot's code, so it really is just an assumption.

Did you checked the "detect duplicates" checkbox when you imported?
I'm hoping you didn't, so I can have confirmation that this workflow
worked regardless of the checkbox.