f-spot not very robust handling messed-up exifs

I have a Nikon Coolpix S600 that sees occasional use. I've noticed before that any images taken with it cause problems for f-spot. These seem to be related to the exif header - I think it may be corrupt in some way. Any changes to metadata cannot be written to the jpeg and are always written to an xmp sidecar file. I noticed today that if I viewed the the files initially in gthumb and rotated the photos that needed rotated it caused f-spot to crash during a later import. Interestingly the images that caused the crash (the rotated ones) were saved to /jpegs/1/01/01 whereas the ok jpegs were saved to /jpegs/2010/11/21. I checked the datestamps on the rotated images and they were correct for today.

I haven't logged a bug for this (although I'd be happy to do so - I have the debug output, no idea what category to log it under though) as it seems to be just this camera that produces problems. I find it easier just to nuke the header (using "jhead -purejpg *" pre-import) rather than mess around trying to find out which particular idiosyncrasy is causing the problems. It's important to me to store my tags in the jpeg itself.

Dougie