Performance problems

Hi all,

F-spot is great software, but is terribly slow. I have in database only
16806 photos and f-spot is really slow (everything,
just browsing, start, selecting tags,...). I ran some tests and results
were interesting.

F-spot version: 0.6.1.5 (Ubuntu lucid).

My PC
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz
RAM: 2GB

TEST 1:
f-spot --debug
'QueryToTemp took 2,639268s: SELECT * FROM photos  WHERE  photos.id NOT
IN (SELECT photo_id FROM photo_tags WHERE tag_id = 2) ORDER BY  time
ASC, filename ASC'.
It took 2.5 second to do a simple select. That means, that something is
wrong.

TEST 2:
time sqlite3 .config/f-spot/photos.db 'SELECT * FROM photos  WHERE
photos.id NOT IN (SELECT photo_id FROM photo_tags WHERE tag_id = 2)
ORDER BY  time ASC, filename ASC;'> /dev/null

real	0m1.131s
user	0m0.812s
sys	0m0.208s

TEST 3: I imported data to mysql and see the results.
time (echo 'SELECT * FROM photos  WHERE  photos.id NOT IN (SELECT
photo_id FROM photo_tags WHERE tag_id = 2) ORDER BY  time ASC, filename
ASC;' | mysql  f-spot > /dev/null)

real	0m0.880s
user	0m0.128s
sys	0m0.012s

RESULTS: As you can see, the sqlite3 was significantly faster, and mysql
even more. I am not suggesting, that you should start using mysql, but
f-spot is really slow.
Another example is
Query took 0,760874s : SELECT * FROM photoquery_temp_0 LIMIT 100 OFFSET
9700
Query took 1,355112s : SELECT * FROM photoquery_temp_0 LIMIT 100 OFFSET
9900
Query took 1,158414s : SELECT * FROM photoquery_temp_0 LIMIT 100 OFFSET
9600
Query took 1,176968s : SELECT * FROM photoquery_temp_0 LIMIT 100 OFFSET
9500
Query took 1,176931s : SELECT * FROM photoquery_temp_0 LIMIT 100 OFFSET
9400

it took 1 second to return 100 rows from table? I now, that my notebook
is old, but this is really bad. f-spot is because of this really
unusable.

So, the question is: Are you doing something about performance issues?
Because this looks like some bug (the select that use f-spot is really
slower, than using sqlite3).

Thank you

Michal Nanasi

P.S.: I really like f-spot, it's great, but the more I use it, the
slower is it.