Re: serious problem with upgrade to ubuntu 9.10q

On 11/25/2009 05:04 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:
hello,
I am getting a little desperate so I'm hoping there is someone who can
help.  I have used f-spot continuously for about 4 years and now have
7 years worth of photos tagged in my photos.db.  I backed up my
photos.db before doing a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10.  F-spot now
crashes when I try to use it with the new database (the photos are
saved on a separate drive).  The terminal errors are copied below.  At
this point, if someone could even just explain how I can downgrade to
a prior version of f-spot that would be better than losing the tagging
entirely.

But right now I'm in a panic at losing 7 years of tags.  Any help
would be much appreciated.
Mary

Whatever happens, you will not lose your tags. They are - or should be - safe in the sqlite database (photos.db) and can if needs be applied to a new database or another program.

Did you see this bug report?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/f-spot/+bug/475811

You might want to add a comment to it. It seems like (Ubuntu's) f-spot chokes on something in your database, possibly a file or directory name with some unwanted character in it. In the bug report I suspect the colon (':') in the filename - colons are allowed in unix file systems but Windows chokes on it... maybe Mono does not like it either? That would be a bug...

Cheers//Frank