avi support

When I try to upload from my camera to f-spot, it usually works great.
 But when there's an AVI, the upload stalls, and then fails. A google
for 'f-spot avi' reveals a variety of experiences by different people
over the last few years on related issues.  How does f-spot [try to]
deal with AVI files?  How can I tell if what I'm seeing is normal, or
even more broken than normal?  What, if anything, could I do to help,
when it seems this issue has been on the radar for years?

Thanks,

James
--
http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~bergstrj