search by exif data

Let's say I imported some pictures from a memory card that were taken on
several different (make/models even, luckily) cameras.  Unfortunately,
the date stamp on the pictures from the various cameras is wrong,
because for whatever reason nobody has the time on their cameras set
properly.

I'd love to be able to Find those pictures based on their Exif data and
fix up the date stamps in them.

While I'm talking about dates, I've noted there are quite a number of
time stamps in a given photo.  Can I get an explanation of what each of
them are?

Image Directory
  Date and Time
    2008:09:18 08:18:38

EXIF Directory
  Date and Time (original)
    2008:09:07 16:03:23
  Date and Time (digitized)
    2008:09:18 12:03:23

Extended Metadata
  DateTimeOriginal
    2008:09:07T04:03:23
  DateTimeDigitized
    2008:09:18 12:03:23

FWIW: The 12:03:23 seems to be the (local) time the picture was taken.
Interestingly though, f-spot 0.5.0 shows "07/09/2008 4:03 P" as the Date
in the Image Information box on the bottom left of the main window.
That time is obviously wrong and looks like it's being taken from the
EXIF Directory->Date and Time (original) field.

Thanx,
b.