umask setting from within f-spot

Here we go again.  The shared photo repository problem again.

I have a shared repository into which many users can import photos.
They should all be able to see and edit all photos in the repository.

I can control group inheritance so that all photos are in the same group
with the setgid bit on directories.  What I cannot control within the
filesystem/directory tree is umask however.

Of course I don't want to change these users' general use default umask
to allow group write permissions to all files they create, so, yes, I
could create a wrapper script set a group-write permissive umask before
starting f-spot but now I have to change everyone's desktop environment
to make this change and remove the default f-spot launcher.

Additionally, a user might want to keep a private photo repository and
not have group writable photos in that, so always setting a group
permissive umask before calling f-spot is not really the right solution
either.

What ISTM is the right solution is to have f-spot set the umask itself
before importing photos.  The UI could be a simple as showing what
permission bits will be set in the import UI.  A more complex (and
complete UI) would be to store a mapping of umask-to-repository and
dynamically changing the umask based on which repository the user
imports into.

This seems to further validate my thoughts that f-spot should keep the
photos.db in a "per repository" fashion rather than the per-user mode
that it currently.  Obviously with per-repository databases, each user
can still have their own personal repository and database, but
per-repository databases furthers the "shared" use-case without
hampering the per-user use case.

Thots?

b.