Re: Tag names and spaces

On Mo, 2008-01-07 at 12:13 +0100, Lorenzo Milesi wrote:
> There's no problem at all with special characters in tag names.

I would like to disagree. At least, using commas in tag names can be a
bad idea. Try this:

     1. Create a tag named "cretins, bastards, idiots, etc."
     2. Add this tag to a photo of your choice.
     3. View this photo and type "T" to open the tag editor.
     4. Edit the tags, e.g., add "Hidden", and press Enter.
     5. Find new tags in your tag view: "cretins", "bastards", "idiots"
        and "etc." are separate tags now.

This is of course just based on the fact that "," is used as a field
separator in the tag editor and is thus absolutely logical, but one
should be aware of this when using commas in tag names. I know someone
who accidently messed up his tag tree quite a bit this way.

F-Spot could easily forbid commas on tag creation, but then, what should
it do when importing already tagged images with tags containing commas?
Or, if commas are valid in tag names, maybe the tag editor should
display them with an escape character like "\," and interpret them the
same way? To be able to use "\" in tag names, that would have to be
converted to "\\", respectively.

Any thoughts or better ideas? Now that I think of it, I feel like being
able to create a patch to add the above escaping to the tag editor.

[x] ulf

--
If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos... then you probably
haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.