Re: Refresh thumbnails: Request for Help

Hi,

> I had this directory of about 200 pictures, which I had imported to
> F-Spot a few days ago. I moved this directory to a different location
> today and found that, after that, I could no more edit or open those
> pictures in F-Spot. The thumbnail were dead. I selected these
> thumbnails and tried refreshing them but that didn't help.

This could be "expected behaviour" depending on how you imported your
pictures into f-spot beforehand. If you unchecked the "Copy files to
the Photos folder", f-spot does not create a copy of these pictures.
So, when you moved them away, f-spot had no idea where the files were
gone to. The solution would be to remove these files from the database
("Edit->Remove from Catalog") and reimport them from their new location.
Alternatively, you could always use the "Photos" folder, so f-spot
creates an copy for it's own use.
If you kept "Copy files to the Photos folder" checked, it sound like
you really have encountered a bug (except if you hand-manipulated your
"Photos" folder).

The "Refresh Thumbnail" function is there in case you have modified (or
perhaps even replaced) an image on-disk. It just creates a new thumbnail
from the image at the location stored in the database.

> I thought that might work so I went and promptly deleted my
> .thumbnails directory. F-Spot does not work any more. It opens and
> remains stuck without showing me any thumbnails.

This should not happen. At least the current version of f-spot re-creates
the .thumbnails folder if needed.

Regards,
Christoph

--