Re: Dreaming

I think the real roadblock to such an interface is going to be the
currently available input peripherals.  Quite honestly, mice suck*.
Touchpads are worse.  Trackballs aren't much better.  Until something
better comes along, interacting with a 3D world is just too difficult.
You wouldn't try manipulating a pile of (printed) photos with one
hand tied behind your back.  Actually, the limitations imposed by the
inputs are more like being limited to only the use of your index
finger.  It looks neat because it is surprisingly different.  I don't
think it would be enjoyable to use.

* If you have ever sat across the desk from someone you is using a
mouse, you will notice that they are constantly picking up the mouse
and moving it.  (Gamers are the worst about this.)  A mouse and the
area in which it travels used to represent the area of your screen and
what you want to do with a simple pointer.  This is no longer the
case.  Trackballs do not move, therefore are not limited by the area
or motions they can represent. They are still poor at manipulating 3D
environments.  I'm not evangelizing anything specific.  I'm just
drawing attention to what may otherwise be overlooked.

I think that if we had an input that allowed us to freely use both
hands in a 3D space, everyone on the planet would be excited about
using something like bumptop for everything from photos to
spreadsheets.</$0.02>

--
.!# RichardBronosky #!.