Re: Moving existing photos to new import location

On Thu, 2007-22-03 at 10:41 +0100, Ulf Rompe wrote:

> But wouldn't having a db in every folder make things like searching or
> just starting up a lot slower?

Not in *every folder* just one db at the root of a photos directory
structure.

> I imagine a hierarchy of many subfolders
> with as many db files.

No.  See above.

> f-spot would have to crawl through all db files
> to perform a search for a tag. Even if f-spot would build an index on
> all db files on start up, this would slow down the start up process.

I would guess that f-spot would just open, and keep open, while it runs,
all of the db files for the various locations where photos are.

If somebody had a real mess of photo caches, yeah, I suppose there could
be a number of dbs open but realistically, for most people it would be
less 3 most likely, and only 1 in a lot of cases.

b.

Brian J. Murrell