Re: Moving existing photos to new import location

On Wed, 2007-21-03 at 19:57 +1100, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> >Hello list,
> >I'm pleased to see the availability since upgrading to 0.3.5 to move
> >the location of the import folder. I'd like to pick up and move all my
> >existing photos from ~/Photos to the new import location. I tried just
> >moving the folder and found that F-spot couldn't find the existing
> >photos because it was looking in the old path. (Made sense after I
> >thought about it. :)
> >
> >Is there a way to update that in the F-spot db? Would it take some
> >tricky sqlite work or would it be easier than that?
>
> One hack is to symlink ~/Photos to your new location, then the old paths
> stored in photos.db would still be accurate.

And what if the point of the move is to share the photos and he gives
his new path to his friend on the same network/computer so that they can
both see them?  Yeah, you know what happens.  :-)

I still maintain that the photos database should be in the root of the
photos folder and that the paths should be relative to that structure.
Then it's portable and sharable without path issues.

It also opens the door to allowing multiple photo caches.

b.

Brian J. Murrell