Album Refresh

F-Spot Issues Image Management - Refresh

I notice that F-Spot does not refresh the image collection when an
end-user first opens the program. This causes me, personally no end of
headaches because I have a habit of not just relying on F-Spot to
manage my image collection.

If an end-user uses an external application to do things such as move,
re-size, alter EXIF data, or hard-rotate images the F-Spot program
does not reflect the true nature of the images at a given time.

I know that someone out there will say "Well don't use anything else!"
But that is in truth not a good way to approach the problem. End-users
will always rely on multiple ways to get things done. Especially Linux
users!

Therefor I think that F-Spot should have a bit more intelligence built
into it so that the issue listed above might be resolved by doing
something as -simple as exiting and re-opening the F-Spot application
or by including a refresh images button on the menu.

I personally lean towards the "Refresh Images" or "Refresh Data" or
"Refresh Album" button. The following are the reasons I do so:

1. Forcing an end-user to open and close the application to get an
update is to much like what I had to do in MS Windows programs and I
hated that! I don't think end-users should have to do this in any
program. Please note that this doesn't work in F-Spot anyways so it is
not even a temporary solution for me.

2. Asking F-Spot to refresh and verify the images upon its execution
might be a burden to the system and slow the applications opening up
to substantially to make it worth the wait. I also, as you can tell,
despise programs that take all day to load on a high end computer so I
can't imagine what it must be like for a low end computer.

3. End-users often use multiple programs to manage images at once. So
instead of asking the F-Spot application to become a resource hog by
periodically checking the hard-drive for changes I suggest a type of
refresh button. This button could be used by end-users at will and of
course at their discretion.

--
Sincerely yours,
Richard Krone