Thumbnail Stepping

Hello:

First I am new to this whole open source project but I want to help
develop F-Spot since I am now going to be using it as my primary way
of managing my photos.

I just want to start by submitting some ideas and such.

The first thing is I won't waste time saying how wonderful the program
is because well the fact that I am using it says it all. Not that I am
anyone special.

Okay the Thumbnail Slider, located at the lower right of the screen is
nice 'but' to me it is not intuitive. To me the lack of some clear-cut
visual markers that scream at the end-user that you can also click on
the small tree icons located to the left or to the right of the slider
to 'step' the thumbnails up or down is a shame.

There should be more of an indicator that these small icons are
click-able. Perhaps having a more traditional border around them might
help. Then again it might not but the point is that it is only through
experimentation by the user that the functionality of these icons
become apparent.

I do not think that users should have to experiment to see what does
what by mousing over and clicking everything on the screen.

I also think it would be useful to allow the user through a
preferences setting in the 'preferences' dialog to set the stepping of
the thumbnails when the adjacent stepping icons are used.

It seems counter intuitive to use a button to zoom in or out when you
have no real control over the amount that the button zooms in or out.
It is to arbitrary to me to allow the program to control this aspect
of the end-user experience.

--
Sincerely yours,
Richard Krone

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no
matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and
your own common sense.
--Buddha