Re: color depth for displaying images

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 14:04 +0100, Thomas Sch�ler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently tagging my images in f-spot as it seems to be the best photo
> manager for my needs.
> I have one issue for now:
> Some images with smooth color gradients look ugly in f-spot (and in qqview
> also). This is not the case with some KDE apps (gwenview and digikam) and
> picasa.
> I have uploaded one extreme example to flickr:
> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/363361128_9d572c2623_o.jpg
> It looks fine in firefox.
> Can you explain this to me and is there a way to solve this?
>
> I'm currently using SuSE 10.1 with KDE.

So for me this looks exactly the same in firefox and f-spot and has no
more color banding than I'd expect from a jpeg so to figure out what is
going on we'll need to dig deeper.  What gtk theme are you using?  Can
you capture a screen shot the actual f-spot window displaying the image
on your machine?  Does changing the gtk theme to a something else
improve the image?

It sounds to me like the wrong visual is being chosen for gtk apps and
my best guess as to why that would happen is that the theme is doing
something very strange.

--Larry