Migration from sqlite2 to sqlite3

My questions here are a follow-up on a discussion in Mandriva development
list about F-spot and sqlite: http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/
cooker/2007-04/msg02229.php

It seems F-Spot by default still uses the old (obsolete?) sqlite2 for its
database. Several distributions, like Debian and Ubuntu, have patched F-
Spot to use the superior sqlite3 by default (patch can be found also on
the above address). Is there any reason why this is not the default in F-
Spot?

We can very well imagine that sometime in the future, distributions will
not include sqlite2 anymore, which will cause problems for existing
users. Now that most distributions still ship both versions, would not it
be interesting to add code to F-Spot which automatically migrates from
sqlite2 to sqlite3 if both are available on the system? This would
prepare F-Spot better for a future where sqlite2 is not available anymore.

--
Frederik Himpe