Re: Introduction, Summer of Code

On 4/13/07, Andrzej Wytyczak-Partyka <iapart gmail com> wrote:
Hello!

I'm one of the happy students whose Summer of Code proposal got accepted
and I'll be working on an F-spot module that will allow face detection and tagging
of faces on images processed by F-spot.

I posted an email here some time ago indicating that I would like to code such a
feature, I got some feedback from the mailing list users as well as from projects'
maintainers and tailored a proposal detailing what I'd like to do during this summer.

For the details of my proposal you might want to take a look here :
http://facedetect-f-spot.googlecode.com/files/fspot-proposal.pdf

All information and files involved with this project (along with the SVN code repo)
will be available at the Google-hosted site (which I'm obliged to use):
http://code.google.com/p/facedetect-f-spot/

During the next couple of weeks I will be working on the design of the component,
so any comments are very welcome.

Cheers,
Andrzej

I am also a graduate student of intelligent systems. I think for any algorithm in this field/subject, it will need to be trainable. For example, I have pictures of myself as I age and my features have changed ( i.e. grew a beard). There are many algorithms that are capable of this (back-propagation based algorithms). Also, it should be trainable to recognize partial faces, for example the side of someone's face.

If the system cannot be trained, then recognizing faces only if they don't change and always face directly into the camera is a fairly useless system. I am interested in where you take this and will keep an eye on this development.

-Jason