Re: F-Spot UI Consistency and Polish

Hi John,

On 10/30/06, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
* If the find bar and query bar are mutually exclusive then they
should appear in the same place.

Agreed, they should both be at the top.  I put the type-to-find entry
at the bottom to be like Firefox, but let's move it to the top.

* The Query bar should use an information icon to indicate valid
searched like the find bar does to indicate no results have been
found.

Agreed, the "Invalid" and "Valid" labels were there for me when I was
coding it.  It should have an icon for two cases, though - no photos
found (but all tags entered recognized), tag(s) not recognized (or
operator mistyped).  It would be sweet it we could use a spell-check
like mechanism to underline the parts of the query that weren't
recognized.

* Change the Tag bar shortcut key to be shift-ctrl-t as recommended by
the HIG [1]

I think that's fine.  The real shortcut for it is just 't'.  There was
a long discussion with Nat about having there be a shortcut at all.
Nat initially had it where you typed letters while having a photo
selected and it would start tagging it.

* Remove the small tag icons beside the Comment entry in the photo
view. Show the tag bar at the bottom of the photo view to provide the
same information

Not so sure about this, showing the tagging bar by default.

* Show the Find bar and the Query bar, alternately, just below the
date widget (where the find bar is currently shown)

This was point #1, no?  Still in agreement..

* Does it make sense to show the Find and Query bars in the photo
view? Or just the browse view

I think it's fine to show it.  Changing the query from there affects
what photos are available when you click 'Next' etc.

* Move "Drag tags here to search for them" to beside the information
bar icon and show it when no tags are being searched.

I don't understand what you're suggesting.

Sorry about all the nitpicking, if there is a consensus on how to best
address these items then I will provide patches.

Not at all, the nitpicking is great.  Polish is very important.
Please feel free to provide patches for any of these things.  Thanks,

Gabriel