Re: f-spot status in ubuntu dapper

Hi Sebastien,

I'll try to remember waht we had in f-spot 0.1.11 and give the best
repsonses I can.
You can also wait a few days and upgrade to edgy. At that time, you'll
have an almost full-features f-spot. (fspot 0.2.1 is distributed with
edgy)

> However, as there is no documentation with it (f-spot 0.1.11 in ubuntu
> dapper), I can can only refer to the website one, and I don't know what
> is available in 0.1.11 and what is 0.2.2-only.
Documentation si now available starting of 0.2.2

> 1. are the metadata located in the picture ? I checked the "Write
> metadata in the picture" box, but when I rename any picture from ~/Photo
> and import it again, f-spot looses its tags and comment. Thus I think I
> missed something.
F-Spot writes tags in metadata but don't read them in 0.1.11. Fixed now.

> 1bis. If the metadata are not yet stored in the picture with XMP, it
> seems to be upcoming, can I tag my old picture now and put the tags on
> XMP later ?
As for 0.1.11, if you enable the 'Write Metadata', f-spot stores tags in
XMP

> 2. on the website (http://f-spot.org/Terminology), I read about an
> "Album". Is it available somewhere, or is it upcoming ?
Not available, only discussed.

> 3. I have some pictures with no exif tag for the date, how can I manually
> set up the date in f-spot
Edit > Adjust Time

> 3bis. Is there support for inaccurate date ? as april 2005 but with no day ?
no, do you really have a camera with a 30 days shutter speed ? ;)

> I have 5 GB of old pictures to import, with many duplicates (backups of
> backups...), I intend to
> 1. track the duplicates with gqview
> 2. (maybe) rename all the picture with some script from exif date/time data
> 3. import in f-spot and tag
>
> Is there a better way to do that ?
>

> Finally, some (short term) feedback:
>
>  * tagging with hierarchic tags is great, but I expected more
> sophisticated search filters to really make use of it (eg: search all
> people that are not Nina nor Robert, etc.)
available in latest releases
>  * In the "thumbnail mode", viewing tags with icons is great, viewing
> comments would be useful too,
>  * versioning is great.

Hope it helps

Stephane