Few suggestions/questions and was Re: F-Spot on Two Computers?

Hi Patrick,

Your explanation/suggestion quoted below worked well for me. Only little bother is about the thumbnails, I keep having to re-fresh them when I change computers. Probably something odd about my symlink at $HOME/.thumbnails/large which where I think f-spot is storing the thumbnails at. It is already 220Mb's in size so I need to either ask it to generate thumbs on-the-fly (if possible) or make them smaller.

Now that I used it for something real, I think I like f-spot over digikam. Although digikam is more able.

Few things that I can't figure out whether are possible to achieve within the interface and if not, would like to post as feature requests:

1) ability to enter tags in a text field instead of choosing them one by one graphically which is very cumbersome and slow.

2) something like ".f-spotrc" to configure more things clearly.So far , I only see Accounts.xml which is prettty much empty and the database file at $HOME/.gnome2/f-spot . I want to transfer the settings between computers nicely and use my favorite editor to edit them instead of remembering menus.

3) tags of the higher orders being inherited completely when I use the lower order one, e.g. if I use "People -> Family --> Cousins", I was hoping "People", "Family" and "Cousins" would appear as tags. Instead, "People" displays the subsets but for example, if I export to flickr, I get only "Cousins" listed there.

4) It would be nice to be able to control the default display. Right now, it seems to display all the photos until I select a subset. That is bothersome since my photo set is huge.

5) More transparent information about actual photo locations would be helpful.

Thanks again for help :)

Turgut

> I see. I suppose it is not possible to merge two databases without messing
> up stuff (is this SQlite or something like that?).

Yup, it's an SQLite database.  You can open and mangle it with sqlite or
any other program that can read sqlite databases.  I've written a fairly
nifty (but ugly) photo gallery application that uses my f-spot database
directly.

> What happens if I copied this file between two computers (like you mentioned
> for the external drive) but some photos are missing on one. Does F-Spot
> complain and remove albums/tags (I had tried doing that in Digikam before, > and that is what it did) etc or does it function happily so that I can add
> more tags.

Images that are not present just show as blanks if there is no
thumbnail, if there is a thumbnail, they'll show their thumbnail in
browse mode, but nothing in view mode.  You can still edit the
descriptions and tags of photos in this case.  I've taken advantage of
this feature quite a bit to work on my tags when I don't have my
external drive with photos attached.

> Ofcourse, I am assuming that I will take care to keep paths same on both
> computers, I just can't keep copy of the whole photo archive in both.

Yup, that sounds like a good plan.   Symlinks are your friend in this
case.  You'll also want to ensure that the archive gets copied between
the machines after editing.  In my case, I replaced the f-spot program
wrapper on my computer with something that rsyncs the photos.db to the
other machine when I'm done editing.  I suppose, in the most correct
case it also should query the other machine to make sure that it's got
the most up to date version, but I've not run into any problems like
this yet.

--Patrick

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/