Re: E-mailing pictures

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:36:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> For now, F-Spot only works in Evolution, so far as I know.

With a small patch to Balsa, it also works there (modulo the deletion
issue).

> as for the 30 second delete, that should most definetly be raised to
> at least an hour.

Apparently the kitchen sink ^W^W^W Evolution copies the attachments to its
own temporary storage first, so there it's not an issue. For Balsa, I can
imagine several options:

1. Balsa has a flag in its add_attachment() function that indicates
whether the files are temporary. If they are, the files are deleted when
the e-mail is sent. However, I don't think this flag can be set by outside
programs so if the f-spot<->Balsa interaction is to use this flag, Balsa
has to somehow detect that it's launched by f-spot and set the flag. Is
it possible to do this in a reliable way?

2. Patch Balsa to always copy attachments to temporary files, like
Evolution. I think this is unlikely to be accepted by the Balsa developers.

3. Patch f-spot in some intelligent way. At the moment, the only way I see
of doing this is to special-case each mailer, which is very ugly.

4. Get all the major MUAs used in gnome to agree on a standard way of
handling attachments. The person who accomplishes this should then go on
to tackle world peace.

Regards,

Johan