slideshow vs. fullscreen

Hi all,

I was just reviewing the patch for bug 318931 - adding controls in slideshow mode, and comparing it to the patch I did for a very similar purpose.

All of this got me thinking about whether it really makes sense to have both a fullscreen mode and a slideshow mode as separate options.

I've been planning on either implementing some of the slideshow functionality in the fullscreen mode, or some more of the fullscreen mode functionality in the slideshow mode --- but I'm starting to think that the two should just be merged.

I think that at any point in full screen mode, a user should be able to press a key to start a slideshow --- and conversely in slideshow mode if the user pauses the slideshow they should have all of the functionality available in fullscreen mode.

This is certainly the behaviour I'd prefer --- it's similar to what I'm used to from iPhoto, but it also seems like a fairly natural way to work... When I'm reviewing photos I might start out slideshowing the pics --- then when I see an interesting one I can pause, zoom in and scroll around (eventually I want to be able to add tags, etc.) while paused I should be able to navigate to previous and next images easily, etc.

Currently I really dislike full-screen mode because the incremental redraw is *really* annoying --- on my 3 month old dell d410 laptop (pentium M 1.7 ghz) it takes 3-4 seconds to draw an image with no load on the system. When there's anything else going on it can take 20s or more. It is substantially faster to redraw in slideshow mode, and the perceptible speed is even better, as long as you view each image for a few seconds, the image appears immediately.

Unfortunately I also dislike slide-show mode (even with a patch to allow pausing and moving from image to image) --- since I can't zoom in to see how the image looks at the pixel level...

What I envision is probably moving the missing functionality from slide-show mode into fullscreen mode (timers, pre-caching, etc.) and then the slideshow button would just put you in fullscreen mode with the slideshow timers turned on... This way if more functionality is added to fullscreen mode in the future (like setting tags, etc.) - it's automatically available in slide-show mode...

Does this make sense?

Warren