Re: Fedora Core 4?

On 5/18/06, Bengt Thuree <bengt thuree com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 09:14 -0600, James Carroll wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> You were right.  I found a "testing" package for FC4 in the top ten
> hits of a google search.  Sorry for asking without looking.  However,
> I'm leery of a "testing" package, so I think I'll not worry about it
> for now.  I'll just wait for Ubuntu 6.06 and get the stable version of
> f-spot that comes with it.
Sorry to say that the stable version for Ubuntu 6.06 might not be the
latest one though... Things happens in CVS....

Yes; from what I have read on the list-serv, there's a lot of recent development, for which I am excited.  I have been following f-spot for about a year now (Since 0.1.3). Last summer, I tried to compile both the "stable" version and the CVS version. I ran into difficulties with the dependencies on mono and gtk-sharp and finally gave up.  I'm not the most experienced developer, but would like to contribute to f-spot. I feel I can help the most by beta testing, filling bugs, giving feedback and ideas on the list-serv, and writing documentation.  I would also like to learn C# and help with the code, but that's at least a few months down the road.  If I could find a comprensive set of instructions to build the latest CVS of f-spot on Ubuntu 5.10 or 6.06, along with a complete list of dependencies, then I might try again. But from my experience, f-spot.org/Building is out of date.  I also think there are several people like me, who would like to get the latest version and try out the changes in CVS, but are having troubles with the build process.

I know that f-spot has great potential and is filling an important need for desktop Linux.  I look forward to a robust, slick photo manager that itegrates well both with Linux as well as third-party web applications (flickr, gallery, etc.).

James Carroll

P.S. In posting to this list, should I place my remarks above or below quoted text?