Re: Importing photos with tags

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 18:45 +1000, Bengt Thuree wrote:

> > Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm really a novice, what I can do is
> > extract the IPTC data that the tags are currently in with PHP and then
> > produce a text file (be it XML or SQL) to work with.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://what-is-what.com
> >

> Actually, have a look at the JPG file first.
> If the tags are stored in IPTC as well as in XMP format, you should be
> able to use the patch I wrote to let F-Spot read XMP data.
> IViewMedia Pro, were only supposed to store in IPTC as far as I
> understood, but they also stored the tags in XMP format.
>
> Also, I think that F-Spot has prepared to deal with IPTC tags as well.
> Have a look and see in IptcFile.cs, and see if you can create a new
> patch based on the XMP importer?
>
> Anyway, gthumb stores its tags in an xml file per photo, so you can take
> a look at that patch.

All the metadata formats that f-spot parses it also can convert to XMP,
that is how the extended metadata section in the metadata dialog is
created.  The code could use some polish but it should make normalizing
the import code fairly simple.  As a side note, it would be good if the
gthumb parsing code could convert to XMP as well.

--Larry