import hell

Hi,

Please say it ain't so.  Does pressing 'cancel' on the import applet window AFTER an import has *successfully completed* dump the whole import?

There are two options after the import completes successfully:  [Cancel] and [Import].  I know.  I've done it three times now.  After three other failed imports, which were all my fault--one import made copies of all the images which I prefer not to have, another import had the wrong tag on everything, and the third included lots of duplicate thumbnails created by another cataloging program--I thought I was ready for the main event; a full-blown 15 gig import.

Apparently, no.

Since I am more than a little apprehensive about starting a 6-hour import process over again (which would probably corrupt or invalidate a freshly completed import), and since the program says "import done", and since there must be (or must have been) a huge amount of data accumulated somewhere which the program surely would not just dump on a whim ( i.e.: without super-double-secret confirmation replicated in triplicate, at least), AND since there was no other type of confirmation available (something like an [OK] button), then hitting [Cancel], even though not wholly appropriate, seemed like the next best choice.

Apparently, no.

Can someone confirm for me that clicking the [x] is the only way to safely close a 'successfully completed' import window?  On execution of the 'close window' button, other programs sometimes close without saving anything, and that was certainly not what I wanted to do.  Though I suppose one might argue that [cancel] and [x] are equivalent; their meaning is equally ambivalent when trying to dismiss this applet window.

And there will be plenty of time to reply to this question, because I am going to start the import over again.

Just as an aside, the program only took a few seconds to dump the import data which it had taken hours to accumulate.  The fruits of such a tediously long process should not be so easy to discard.

Thanks for listening to me vent.  Now, flame away.  I'll be back in the morning.

joe