Re: XMP import patch - Best version yet :)

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 09:39 -0400, Warren Baird wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> I haven't had time to do a detailed code review, but I skimed the patch,
> applied it and played with it a bit.  As written it doesn't let me do
> what I had originally written the patch for - take a set of photos from
> an app that doesn't support xmp, write a script to generate sidecars for
> each photo, and then import them into f-spot.
>

>          ImageFile img = ImageFile.Create (path);
> 	if (img is SemWeb.StatementSource) {

The above line always returns true that there are XMP data in the photo itself.
Since there is XMP data in the photo, there will be a problem if there is a sidecar also.
Which XMP tag will be the main one, if you have one set of keywords and title in the photo itself,
and another in the sidecar?

If you check some older versions of the patch, there is a conditional
define that changes from ImageFile to JpegFile, and then your Sidecar
functionality will work fine.

> Unless there's a really good reason for not reading sidecars from jpegs,
> I'd appreciate it if you renabled this functionality.
The sidecar functionality is there, just that ImageFile has to indicate
that there are no XMP data in the photo.

I am not sure which is the correct way forward on this one.
Perhaps some more comments from others?

/Bengt