Re: Using a shared Photos directory

On 02/26/2006 10:48 AM, Ken VanDine wrote:

I would actually love to go one step further.  My wife and I both have
collections of photos in f-spot, but on separate laptops.  It would
really rock if users could share their library like we can now share our
music with banshee.  Avahi can really enable this.  So... then we could
both browse each others library.

And one step further would be to enable write access to a shared
library.  Say we have a home server machine where our library physically
resides (big disk and real desktop box).  Then we can maintain the
library via our laptops.  I know this would be a big project... but...
just saying it would be really cool!
This is how I manage my photos. I have a server that houses all my files. Then I have F-Spot on my laptop and use it to manage the library. Here is how I did it.

First I made this patch http://mail.gnome.org/archives/f-spot-list/2006-February/msg00023.html it allows you to specify the import directory. Then I mounted my photos directory locally and imported. Make sure that you uncheck the "Copy Photos" checkbox on the import screen before you select the import directory. Now all you have to do is sit back and watch it go.

The one thing that might be nice is to have a common copy of the photos.db database that f-spot uses. Something like that should be fairly easy.

-- Chad