Changing time confusion

Hi

I am having some problem understanding how the change time works.

I have the following scenario:
EXIF DateTimeOriginal : 2004:10:05 13:01:10
Dual boot Windows/Linux, which means h/w clock is not set to UTC
   (windows problem).
Currently in timezone Australia/Melbourne

If I select this photo, and decides to adjust the time I am presented with
the following dialog.

Appears to have been taken on: 5/10/2004 3:01:10 AM
Was actually taken on: <04/10/04> [Calendar] <16:01> [bad time widget!]
For a difference of <00:00:00>

This is very very confusing for me.
1) The photo was taken at 13:01:10, not 03:01:10
2) Why does F-Spot assumes that the photo was taken on another time, and
where does it get this time from? Subtracting melbourne timezone? Why! Why
not trust the EXIF data? Unfortunately EXIF do not store timezone
information.
3) Why present in 12 hr format on the description, and 24 hour format on
the assumes
4) Why is there a difference of 00:00:00 when the time is apperantly
different?

Probably I am missing some very simple logic here, and I appologize in
advance for this.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Bengt

--
Bengt Thuree   bengt thuree com