Re: Backup druid

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 21:20 +1100, Bengt Thuree wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 15:52 +0800, Indulis Bernsteins wrote:
> >
> > I think that f-spot should generate a list of files based on some sort
> > of user selection... this could be person in the photo, location, what
> > the user has currently selected, or predominant colour in the photo
> > (well maybe not that one!).
> >
> > Export the list, and then it is simple to feed it to some other backup
> > tool (or have f-spot feed the tool I guess).
> >
> > Doing "incremental" or full backups based on file creation date or
> > last modification date is pretty much handled with standard tools
> > outside of f-spot, so without lists generated by additional criteria,
> > there's not much value in it IMHO.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Indulis
>
> Hi
>
> I disagree.
> I do not really think my folks will understand how to do a backup with
> the normal means. Also, photos are among the most sensitive information
> you have on the hard disk. Sensitive in the sense you can not replace
> them if they are lost.
>
> Therefore I believe that F-Spot would benefit by having some kind of
> backup druid. By all means, one of the options could be to generate a
> list of files/photos to be backup.

Highly agree with that! Glad that other people think (and worry) about
this too. With my hard disk rapidly shrinking due to photoshootings, I'm
looking into "swapping out" some pictures. Being able to do that in
f-spot would mean _a lot_ to me.

If I had the final word on this, I'd say: "Backup? YES!" :-)

Kind Regards,
   Ruben

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)