Re: Album Support

Stephane Delcroix wrote:

As you, I'm not at all in favor of showing Freddy's album concept in
front of Sally, but we can't ask Freddy to either a pro-photographer AND
a script kiddy. Freddy probably wants also all the beauty of nice Gnome
UI to select his albums. But we can keep that in the fridge for now. The
best solution for this could be implemented as a plugin (can be enabled
or disabled), and loads the plugins before the core, so the plugin can
display a dialog showing all Freddy's albums and a button to create a
new album. But as I already said, let's keep that in the fridge for now
(Maybe you'll have a plugin doing that with my next release of
plugins :) ).

Well - I hate to bring up iPhoto yet again, but pretty much the same situation exists there - iPhoto has a concept of a Library (pretty much identical to how John described a collection), and althrough iPhoto itself supports multiple libraries, there's no way to change libraries in the iPhoto gui --- I guess they couldn't find a way to do it without being confusing either.

So what happened was that a 3rd party dev released a small free-ware package called 'iPhoto Librarian' that lets you create new Libraries, and then launch iPhoto with one of them. if iPhoto is running, it basically kills it and restarts a new one with the new Library.

In the long run, I think we can do better than this, and have something directly in f-spot to switch collections. But in the short term this would be a lot better than the cli option I added.

The separate app could just access the f-spot gconf file and put the new collection settings there.

What do people think?

Warren