Re: f-spot in a photo workflow

Aigars,

This is a great review. However, I disagree on going versions way.

If you create versions from JPEG files, you lose useful data everytime
you make an adjustment and save it. Only several operations can be
done to JPEG in a lossless way, and operations like color adjustment
and sharping are destructive.

Instead I suggest going effects chain way, similar to Picasa, but more
versatile. The main issue is that most effective would be having
either photos manager and graphics editor in one application (this is
what digiKam guys are planning for post 0.9.0), or two separate
applications talking to each other in a way that you pretty well
described, with the only exception - all changes should stay
non-destructive. With stuff like adjustment layers we have no excuse
for saving extra files really :)

I would still leave versioning for print/web separation. Do you want
me to elaborate on non-destructive part?

Alexandre