Re: Meta-Data Import

Rather than add this kind of import feature into f-spot, my feeling is
that it would be more appropriate to write a tool that would write the
metadata directly into an XMP or IPTC header in the image.  Then f-spot
will automatically see the metadata.

In fact, since you are generating this XML from somewhere, and XMP is
XML-based, you might as well just generate the XMP directly rather than
put it through an intermediate format.

I'd like to see the various photo applications get away from having a
central metadata database at all.  I feel that they should use the image
data as the authoritative database and generate a cache as necessary for
fast performance.  But upon deleting the cache, switching applications,
reinstalling the OS, moving to a difference machine, etc., all metadata
will seamlessly remain because the image files themselves are the
repository.  Maybe such a philosophy is already in mind for f-spot, but
I haven't had much success pushing gthumb in that direction.

The main drawback of such an approach is that some people don't like
touching the original image file for any reason whatsoever.  In that
case (or for formats that don't allow embedded XMP such as RAW), the XMP
data can be stored in a separate file alongside each image.  An
important aspect of this approach is that there is only one image per
XMP file so that it can be copied anywhere the image goes.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Regards,

David