Re: Updated patch for Detecting Duplicates in F-Spot

Hi Benjamin!

On mar, 2005-09-06 at 00:10 -0400, Benjamin Kahn wrote:
> Hey Alvaro,
>
> 	That looks really slick, but the flow seems a little awkward.  While
> it's nice that it only bothers the user if it detects duplicate images,
> the dialog seems annoying.

How we can make it less annoying? I hate to annoy the user but I haven't
found a better way to do it.

Looking how Picasa does it, yes, it is a good solution to put a checkbox
in the import dialog and to remember the state between sessions. I think
that the default state should be not to include duplicates.

If a user wants to import duplicates and she doesn't uncheck the
"Exclude Duplicates" because she doesn't found it we have a edge case
because it is difficult later to resolve it. Maybe the first time we
should so the dialog to the user and point her to the checkbox for
future imports? I don't like a lot the solution because it is a bit
complex to store a lof of application state like that.

> Also, the status area is confusing.  (image
> 4 of 4, but only 2 images appear!)  Check out how Picasa does it:

Yes, I have changed it in the actual version thanks to a Juanjo comment
about it. Right now it informs you about the real numer of photos
imported and also, about the number of photo duplicates F-Spot has
filtered out.

> http://www.digitaldingus.com/reviews/picasa/import4.jpg
>
> The duplicate section is a checkbox.  All images are previewed, and the
> duplicates are automatically rejected when the checkbox is checked.
>
> Maybe a similar checkbox could be used here?  It might only be sensitive
> if duplicates are detected.  Checking the box would hide the images
> which won't get imported.  And the status area could be updated as well.
> (Maybe "image 4 of 4 (2 duplicates)")

I understand fully the Picasa UI solution and it is really cool. And I
think that we can implement it in F-Spot without big hurdles because in
the import phase we have all the thumbnails for photos also. I will work
on it. And I will annonate: remember to check the UI of the competence
when implementing new UI features ;-) I have checked the gThumb
interface but not Picasa2 or iPhoto. And Picasa2 works in wine perfectly
so it is easy to test with it.

Thanks Benjamin!

Cheers