Re: Patch 321928 - Pre-defefined date ranges - Comments?

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 14:11 +0100, Ben Monnahan wrote:

> Bengt:
>
> At first glance the list looks a little long.  Reorganizing like this
> makes it a little simpler at least for my eyes to parse.
>

> * Today
> * Yesterday
> * Last 7 days
> * Last 30 days
> * Last 90 days
> * Last 360 days
> * Current month
> * Current year
> * Current week
> * Previous month
> * Previous year
> * Previous week
> * Customized range
Actually, the code is with this order:
* Today
* Yesterday
* Last 7 days
* Last 30 days
* Last 90 days
* Last 360 days
* Current week (Mon - Sun)
* Current month
* Current year
* Previous week (Mon - Sun)
* Previous month
* Previous year
* Customized range

> What about dropping some of them (I'm sure we could come up with use
> cases for how they could be useful, but that has to be weighed against
> the clutter factor)  My personal picks for dropping would be "Last 360
> days", "Current week", "Previous week".  Which would leave the list
> like:
> The again, maybe its not that much better.

No problems dropping some or adding others. But I have used MS Money for
some time and I really like these predefined date ranges. Very seldom I
need to do the Customized Range (which is to manually set from and to
date).

> I think it will depend somewhat how it looks once it is implemented.
> Also, how do you envision the customized range working?  Having a
> efficient system for setting custom ranges would make it less painful
> to drop some of the lesser used predefined ranges.  One more thing,
> what about the ability to save custom ranges?  Read the ranges out of
> a config, which we ship with what you have here.  Then allow the users
> to create and remove ranges to fit their needs?  Might be getting too
> complex.  Again would depend on the UI.

Would be very nice to be able to have a few customized date ranges in
the f-spot preferences, but perhaps this is overkill?

> Ben

/Bengt