Re: Auto setting of EXIF and IPCT tags

On Apr 29, 2005, at 4:29 AM, Bengt Thuree wrote:
I am playing with trying to get the IPTC/EXIF values of photos, and my
intention is to integrate this into F-Spot, so that when you import
pictures into F-Spot, a number of Tags and Categories will automatically
be created.

I am glad that you are working on this. Do you intend to handle XMP metadata as well? (Although obviously the wrong language for f-spot, Image::ExifTool appears to handle all sorts of photographic metadata very well.)
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ExifTool.html

| IPTC Values
| -Persons-
| [Iptc Makernote] Keywords - Jasmine Jade

Are you assuming that all keywords are for people? Many IPTC keywords are used to describe other objects in a photo, or also keyword information about the event at which they are taken.

Will your implementation care if there are space characters with a keyword? (I wouldn't think to ask, as it is allowed by the spec, except that Picasa cannot handle this.)

| [Iptc Makernote] Unknown tag (0x025C) - Farfars apartment	- Location

I'm concerned about the "Unknown tag" status of "Location". I've seen Location listed as a potential IPTC classification in some programs (e.g. iView Media Pro), but not in others (e.g. GraphicConverter). It is a handy thing to be able to specify, but if it is non-standard this could cause interoperability problems.

I will also try to come up with a rudimentary IPTC field viewer.

Great! Do you plan to allow IPTC tag editing directly, or perhaps allow exporting of the f-spot tag info back into the appropriate IPTC tags?

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Please don't mistake my questions for criticism; IPTC is the most widely deployed user-editable photographic metadata standard and I think that it is great that f-spot will be able to take advantage of it.

thomas