Re: F-Spot & Metadata

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 15:13 +0300, Uldis Bojars wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a blog entry about F-Spot and Metadata in photos.
>
> What I am interest in is for F-Spot to support adding of a rich family
> of metadata to the photos [as opposed to having i.e. only keywords or
> tags]. Such information would allow you to search by many criteria
> like what person [or thing] is on the photo, where was it taken, who
> took it, ...

I don't see a very clear distinction between tags and the rich metadata
here. Tags are an interface to assign and search by image attributes.
Perhaps tags only make sense for multiple images, while there could be
unique attributes of an image (name, caption, timestamp) that make no
sense to be tags. Tags in f-spot as it stands are structured as well.
They are not flat keywords. You have places, people and events. This
could be enhanced to match some of the metadata standards out there.
Author, Category (portrait, nature..) etc.

To fully support the metadata standards doesn't mean to have all of the
in the Interface though. We could discuss if we want editability of
these in some list-like (and fairly hidden) widget similar to Raphael's
GIMP metadata editor has [1].

I'm not sure the quicksearch interface using tags is scalable enough to
be honest. Definitely needs more thought on how to do metadata in
F-Spot.

cheers

[1] - http://wilber.gimp.org/~raphael/metadata/ (advanced tab)

--