f-spot installation sqlite (not the one that broke)

I'm try to install f-spot, but I'm having trouble with dependencies. It
said that I needed sqlite, so I installed it, but the configure script
is still telling me that I don't have it installed (it exists in
/usr/bin and I've run it just to make sure it works).

I'm still getting the line that says something like:

sqlite_insert_row blah... blah... blah... -lsqlite
(blatant paraphrase, but you get the picture)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

michael