Re: gphoto2 integration and bugzilla

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 22:28 -0400, Ewen Cheslack-Postava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all I am curious if anybody is actively working on this
> project.  From the looks of anoncvs the last major activity was 2
> weeks ago.  Is Larry still working on it?

I'm still working on it, I've just been spending most of my time on
planning and research rather than code for the last couple of weeks.
I've already started adding some bugs to bugzilla, and more will follow
soon.  My Evolution commitments are finally winding down so I've got a
lot more time for f-spot.

> Secondly, if somebody is, is the bugzilla database being monitored?
> It looks like there are a few patches in there and I just submitted a
> couple.

I'm watching it in general but it hasn't been a priority yet.  If there
are particular bugs that seem to have been missed feel free to mention
them here or add a comment to the bug directly.

> Finally, I was considering working on gphoto2 integration and wanted
> to see if anybody is already working on it.  If I do start working on
> it, I have a couple of questions:

Excellent! I don't think anyone is actively working on it right now,
although a couple of people have mentioned interest.

> 1) Besides just getting something to work, I am curious as to how
> settings should be dealt with.  I don't think there are any settings
> being saved/loaded currently and I wasn't sure if a specific direction
> should be taken in this.  I ask only because it would make sense to be
> able to save stuff like the type of camera, port to search on,
> directory to save files to, how to name files, etc.

I don't have a firm opinion on that right now, my gut says to use gconf
for simple settings and things you might want notification on but store
any structured data as serialized xml.

> 2) Beyond automating copying files, renaming them, and automatically
> importing them, is there anything else that it should do?

These are obviously the most important.  Other possibilities include
rotating images automatically based on the orientation tag and possibly
allowing you to apply thing like Artist and Copyright tags at import,
but those can be added later if at all.

Thanks for hacking on f-spot,

--Larry