Re: [Evolution] ews api -> graph api question

On Wed, 2022-09-07 at 16:42 +0200, Torsten Krah via evolution-list
wrote:
like most of us know the ews api is considered deprecated and graph
api is the one which should be used in the future.

        Hi,
as far as I know, the Graph API works only with the Office365.com
servers. I do not follow them closely, maybe the newer Exchange servers
will provide the Graph API access too.

I found this which is dated 05/19/2022:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/migrate-exchange-web-services-api-mapping

and it looks like all ews api calls have now a pendant on the graph
side

Unfortunately, it seems not every API evolution-ews uses is shown
there, but I need to check closely to know for sure. There is also
different behaviour for some methods, like the "Create message" method,
one would expect it be a way to save a message to a folder on the
server. Yes, it does that, but the server (and the API documentation
says it clearly) considers the message as a Draft message. You surely
do not store a Draft message to the server when copying it from another
account.

I see they added missing things to the Calendar API, there was not
possible to get all the calendar events (the evolution-ews uses that to
cache the content locally for quicker and offline use), there had been
only calendar views, which meant to be always online to get the events
(and it could cause delays on changing the view due to network I/O).

Is:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-ews/-/tree/master/src/Microsoft365

already ready to use? Is there a document I can read how much
progress the new connector has already made?

It's a long time it had been added to the sources and it's disabled by
default due to missing functionality in the time it had been worked on
actively. I can check what APIs they added and how that behaves now,
there had been made good improvements from their side for sure.

You can test it yourself, if you wish, but be aware it's incomplete and
can cause weird things. It does only some basic things. To test it one
can add:

   export ENABLE_M365=1

into the ~/.bashrc file and re-login. Then, in Evolution,
File->New->Mail Account will offer a Microsoft 365 account type.

        Bye,
        Milan