Re: [Evolution] New mailing list

On Mon, 2022-10-24 at 00:51 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
For those who are interested, see
https://groups.io/g/evolution-users

It is now, up to you to decide what you want to do.

I have no problems with people signing up to whatever they want, of
course, but I have to say that I'm on one or two other groups.io lists
and IMO it's not great.  Messages arrive out of order, sometimes they
never arrive (I get replies to messages I never saw), and often they
take a very long time to arrive (compared to when they were sent).
And, the threading is often all broken (although some of that can be
attributed to the other people on the list: they are local neighborhood
lists and there are lots of non-technical people who know nothing about
the correct way to manage email, and are using really terrible mail
software).

As problematic as the Discourse email support is, I think I'd prefer it
to groups.io.  Maybe my experience is an outlier.

I don't personally care about all the wingdings on Discourse since I
don't plan to ever use the website.  They can add all the badges and
nonsense they want.  I got promoted a level (I assume to level 1) just
by visiting for a couple of days in a row (to mess with my config) and
reading a few threads (to ensure I was getting the messages I wanted).
I didn't have to "like" anything or use any emojis or anything like
that.  And I don't see much benefit in trying for more than that.

I do believe that this move will result in a decrease in the usefulness
and amount of discussion.  It would be very interesting to come back in
6 or 12 months and compare the traffic to the current list versus the
traffic in Evolution tag on Discourse; I hope someone does that check.
Maybe it will be a net benefit, as people are more able to find and
interact with the Discourse site.  But my suspicion is it won't be.