Re: [Evolution] Discourse and the situation for Mailman lists hosted by Gnome.org

On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 09:20 -0400, William Oliver wrote:
I strongly suspect that the reason this change is being made is not for
some nefarious "control" reason or some bad goal.  I suspect that its
about making it easier for whoever is volunteering to keep this stuff
going.

Hi,

if so, why was it possible to sent the announcement to the mailing lists
at 20 Oct 2022, but impossible to do it earlier, to give the communities
a chance to run their own lists?

The moderators and subscribers of the lists hosted by GNOME are
volunteers, too. "They" gave us less than 2 weeks to find a solution
that satisfies another part of the communities.

The non-profit GNOME Foundation is not a small project by a few coders,
it is a relatively huge foundation.

All support forums of proprietary software, let alone FLOSS software,
that I know, stay away from gamification, "an allegedly
populist idea that actually benefits corporate interests over those of
ordinary people" [1]. GNOME is the only exception that I know, that only
provides support by Discourse. I've seen that FreeBSD has a Discourse
forum, too, but they continue with all kinds of other support channels.
FreeBSD has a way better reason to discontinue Mailman, since it's more
or less impossible to port Mailman 3 to a FreeBSD servers, hence they
simply migrated to another mailing list software.

You might be right, but your guess isn't evident. It's hard to believe
that you are right. I have got valid doubts.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification#Criticism