Re: [Evolution] Thoughts on Discourse and use as a mailing list

On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 01:59 +0000, Dan Kortschak wrote:
This has been my experience with GNOME decision makers in other areas
as well. Failure to engage, diminution of concerns and then moving on
with the tired refrain of it's open source so your could fix it
yourself, and then cycling back to failure to engage.

"Resistance is useless!"

Hi,

resistance is not futile! Other communities are also in a pissy mood,
see
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list/2022-October/date.html .
No community was informed, they have done this in the dead of night.

Btw. I started doing almost all my drawing artwork on an iPad and for
the work on my FLOSS desktop machine I migrated a long time ago to
Krita, since GIMP developers already have broken GIMP a long time ago.

Since Evolution depends much on GNOME [1], I expect that the next thing
will be radical changes of those dependencies, rendering Evolution
useless for a lot of us. Maybe we don't need a new mailing list, once
Evolution does look and behave like almost all other GNOME apps.

At first the migration from GIMP to Krita wasn't easy. Krita's user
interface was less good and it was missing features, but in the long run
I got rid of a lot of issues. OTOH KDE / Krita developers welcome users
as much as GNOME / Gimp developers do. Qt based apps just don't suffer
from such a bad basic concept as a lot of gtk3, let alone gtk4 apps do.
In my experiences developers of proprietary software care way more about
the users. For drawing, photo and publishing apps the market leader
Adobe rips users off and doesn't care about users, but competitors such
as Affinity outstrip Adobe. The competitors software nowadays is better
and the competitors care about user experiences and the user's wishes.

There will be radical changes in the future. Big companies, huge
projects of FLOSS as well as proprietary software that overdo things,
will take a plunge. The computer market is still quite young, as soon as
it is further disenchanted, more and more users will fight back.

I wish the GNOME project many, long-lasting DDoS attacks!

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
$ pacman -Qi evolution evolution-data-server | grep Depends\ On
Depends On      : gnome-desktop  evolution-data-server  libcanberra  libpst  libytnef  gspell  libcryptui
gnome-autoar  libgweather-4  enchant  cmark  libcamel-1.2.so=63-64  libebook-1.2.so=20-64
libebook-contacts-1.2.so=3-64  libecal-2.0.so=1-64  libedataserver-1.2.so=26-64  libedataserverui-1.2.so=3-64
Depends On      : gnome-online-accounts  nss  krb5  libgweather-4  libical  db  libgdata  libphonenumber
libcanberra